The following 10 tips are essential for every bride and groom in the planning phase of their reception. By following this advice (most of which you have probably never even thought of) This will help ensure a great reception!
- Whatever the bride and groom do, the guests are going to do. If the hosts are outside talking for the majority of the reception, most of the guests are going to be out there too. If they are on the dancefloor, that's where you'll find the guests. They are there to celebrate your special day!
- Do not seat your older guests in front of your DJ's speakers. The farther away from the DJ, the more enjoyment they will have.
- Do not place your DJ in some out of the way corner, they need to be easily seen, so your guests no where the announcements are coming from and where to focus some of their attention, and really need to see the dance floor to keep the crowd moving.
- Darker is better than lighter for dancing. A well lit dance floor is always less filled than one that is dimmed and romantic.
- The bars should always be in the main reception room. If possible, the bars should be near the dance floor, but not in a way that the lines at the bar interfere with the dance floor. The same goes for dessert stations.
- Keep in mind your audience (guests) when making your playlist. Just because you like obscure 80's New Wave Pop doesn't mean that everyone at the reception does.
- A party should end when it shouldn't end… not when it has to. Ending a party just before it dies down leaves your guests wanting more and they will always remember a packed dance floor.
- If you are going to have alot of kids at your wedding, offer them something to do. Have balloons on their chairs and "busy" packets at their table with crayons, coloring books, puzzles, etc. You could even set up a DVD player and TV in a corner.
- When picking your music, don't overdo it. Pick 20-30 or so songs that you really want to hear and some that you really don't, and then leave the rest up to me. I can fill in the blanks. Definitely have those 10 MUST HAVE songs!
- Hire DJ Henry GQ